Monday, April 5, 2010

Friends

How many times do we call someone "friend?" What are the qualities involved in labeling someone more than an aquaintance but less than a lover, partner or spouse, etc? What are the unspoken rules of friendship shared between people? When does the friendship find its path that lead to a level of trust that if cared for, will not easily break? How does the search commence and who are the judges? I do not know. One thing I can say with some level of certainty, a good friend is hard to find, even harder to keep. I have given this esteemed title to many only to regret the decision when the situations require more than I am willing to give. I keep a healthy distance between myself and people as a general rule of thumb. This selfish act has kept me from a lot of disappointments with most people. I am not afraid to bond with people, just sometimes find comfort in being selfish....
Recently the rules of friendship took root in a very unexpected, effortless way. I found what I will call, a friend. I found a level of unspoken trust that was comforting and true. Today my friend has moved on to greater endeavors, leaving me aghast. Does this mean that I did not find a friend, or that heartless code...out of sight, out of mind, will ensue? If that happens as most things in life fade with time, I can say I know what it means, to have a friend.
Adios Amigo

No comments: