Friday, May 8, 2009

My truth...oh lawd!

I have to write about this, because it is killing me inside. So, yes I have graduated from college, whoo hoo! Right? Wrong, During all four years of fiction writing intensives, I did not engage with anyone beyond the classroom. I did not submit ANYTHING! I did not go to any other events other than those required to complete my studies. The problem? Glad you asked. The problem is FEAR, an enemy for most of us. But for me the fear of rejection strangled every effort. I know that I live in my head a lot always assuming that success will come with little to no effort, but it also this same imagination that keeps me from stepping out. I am embarrassed to say, "I am not working on anything," There I said it. I prefer not to call myself a writer, because I am unpublished, because I have not submitted. I have years of great story starts sitting in my file cabinet, doing no good. And yet at this point I am frustrated because I am not able to work in the industry. How can I expect to be hired, when I have nothing but this sporadic blog to show for myself. Why is this, why am I like this? There are people in my life that will tell me to write about this experience and make something of it. The problem is not writing, its "what do I do now?" that boggles me. I have experienced things in my life that can help others, but somehow I do not like to be vulnerable and if I share, I will have to be open to criticism, (but that's another issue). Keeping things in, is destroying me physically. I know the direct result can only get worse if I do not get this stuff out of my head and into public view, so what am I to do? Please, I feel at times going to school was a waste of four years that only resulted in a bunch of journals. I know there are others that understand. So I will use this to size up my interests.
YES I LOVE TO WRITE
what kind of writing?
Short Stories ranging from love and relationships to faith and religion
what are you working on now?
OH GOD, NOT AGAIN WITH THAT:-)
what would you like to do?
Get published and work in a company that lets me do the writing and editing.
what's stopping you?
.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sistah, you've got to let it out or you'll have many regrets later in life. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. College was not a waste, and I see in you what I see in so many women which is great potential. Sometimes we get to the edge of the cliff and are afraid to jump. You'll never know unless you try. Even if rejected, you learn from it and grow. I see your passion in your writing and your posts are clever and engaging. So my little butterfly... spread your wings and fly. Looking forward to reading your future work.

A.F. from Chicago